My name is Ritwik Gupta and I am a Ph.D. student at the University of California, Berkeley, where I am a member of the Berkeley AI Research (BAIR) lab. My research focus is on computer vision for humanitarian assistance and disaster response, as well as the development of policies related to the use of machine learning in developing areas. I am co-advised by Drs. Trevor Darrell and Shankar Sastry. I am an AI Policy Fellow in the Center for Security in Politics under the advisement of Sec. Janet Napolitano.
In addition to my academic pursuits, I am the Founder and President of Neural Tangent, a company that uses machine learning to solve problems in the field of humanitarian assistance and disaster response. I also provide consulting services in the areas of machine learning, artificial intelligence, edge computing, and remote sensing.
I co-organize the Berkeley AI Reseach Climate Initiative with Medhini Narasimhan, which brings together researchers to work on AI research through the lens of climate change and helps to translate that work into real-world applications. If you are interested in participating, please join our Slack group and send me a message.
If you would like to contact me, you can email me at [email protected]. Please note that I am currently not accepting undergraduate students for research opportunities, although new opportunities may arise in the future.
- [Oct. 2023] Our work on Scale-MAE was nominated for Best Paper at ICCV 2023!
- [Jul. 2023] Two papers accepted at ICCV 2023.
- [Mar. 2023] I spoke at NVIDIA’s GTC 2023 on the topic of partnerships in AI for humanitarian assistance and disaster response.
- [Feb. 2023] My work on damage assessment for the 2023 Turkey/Syria earthquake was featured in MIT Technology Review, Financial Times, and CNN.
- [Jan. 2023] I earned the Graduate Certificate in Security Policy from the Goldman School at Berkeley.
- [Sept. 2022] One paper accepted to NeurIPS 2022!
- [Jul. 2022] I was awarded the National Science Foundation’s Digital Transformation of Development Fellowship.
- [Jul. 2022] The non-profit H2H8 awarded me a grant for my work on AI for humanitarian assistance and disaster response.